Going down memory lane with Swizzels Matlow and their retro sweets #shop

I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for #Collective Bias and its advertiser.

Those who know me well know that I am a chocoholic and a ‘sweetaholic’. I guess it is from my childhood days. Now don’t get me wrong, my parents weren’t pumping me full of sweets all day and every day. It is just when I did get sweets it was special, as I would be given some money and I could go down to the shop down the road and pick what I wanted. Even if I had just a penny I could go to the shop and pick just one sweet for a penny! Anyone remember the Swizzels Matlow retro sweets from back in the day? Sweets like drumsticks, refreshers and love hearts. Back then I wasn’t aware of gelatine so I did end up eating a lot of them.

So this weekend, having realised that I was almost out of nappies and looking at a potential disaster, we popped down to our local Asda to get some and to also check out the sweets! We found some Swizzels Matlow, sharing an aisle with baked beans and tinned vegetables!!

Picking sweets

We found some of my favourites, Love hearts and Parma Violets.

Love Hearts and Parma Violets

Swizzels Matlow Love Hearts

Introducing Munchkin and Bee to the sweets brought back fond memories of my childhood. They both loved the Love Hearts although I think Bee possibly loved playing with them more!

Love Heart

I am the youngest by 9 years in my family, and one of the things I remember about those days was the cars. Having two brothers, we went through quite a few cars, and I remember being made to pose along alot of them. Even though the cars were old and sometimes close to what we would now call ‘bangers’ they were proud of their ‘babies.’

So here is a selection of a few cars with me posing! Excuse the quality of the photos as obviously the cameras in those days were pretty basic compared to now. Anyone recognise the models? Did you yourself own any of these?

They got me posing from a young age!

They got me posing from a young age!

Got the whole Marilyn Monroe look going here with my dress being lifted in the wind!

Look at those lights on the car. Oh and that hideous jumper I'm wearing!

Look at those lights on the car. Oh and that hideous jumper I’m wearing!

How orange is this car?

How orange is this car?

I miss the 80’s/90’s. Life seemed so simple back then although I am not convinced about the fashion! I started wearing glasses at around age 11 and had those huge massive style glasses – if anyone knows Deirdre from Coronation Street you will know what I mean. And I miss the TV shows; Sesame Street, Rainbow, Grange Hill…..the list is endless!

What was your favourite show when you were younger? And what was your favourite Swizzels Matlow sweet from your childhood?

19 Comments on Going down memory lane with Swizzels Matlow and their retro sweets #shop

1. Marie
    February 24, 2014 at 4:51 pm (2 years ago)

Those sweets!! I like them way too much. They are so cool.
    Ok I remember those years with nostalgy, thought I am sure the fashion wasn’t great. I, too, wore these horrible glasses.
    Years change, some things get better and some other things get worse (like I can’t eat 3 slices of chocolate cake, without being sick. This would have never happened before!!)
    Hope you are all well Foz. Kisses to all.

2. Elaine Livingstone
    February 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm (2 years ago)

drum sticks and double lollies……yum yum yum. Love the pics. I dont every remember us having a car till I reached 14, though my grandparents had one.

3. Ellen Arnison
    February 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm (2 years ago)

I love all the car pictures! It must have been a real theme in your family.

4. shabz
    February 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm (2 years ago)

Oh goodness! Those sweets bring back some fond memories! I remember giving my baby sister a packet of refreshers and she stuffed them all in and they started to foam so mum thought I’d poisoned her! We can still find all these sweets in our local post office where I’ll pick some up now 😉 x

5. anna m
    February 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm (2 years ago)

My fave was Love Hearts. I still love them, they are a timeless classic!
    Love the old photos and all the cars :)
    anna m recently posted…Interplay Pirate Craft PartyMy Profile

6. Mummy Glitzer
    February 26, 2014 at 4:48 pm (2 years ago)

These do bring back memories indeed! My own favourites were (and still are!) drumsticks and refreshers! Oh and love hearts. Not a fan of the parma violets myself! x
    Mummy Glitzer recently posted…The Holy Grail of SleepMy Profile

7. Notmyyearoff
    February 26, 2014 at 6:28 pm (2 years ago)

I love swizzle a matlove too and was a drumstick fiend pre-gelatine understanding days. Weren’t they the best?? I regularly eat the love hearts now but try not to after eating one too many once and getting a tummy ache. Love your cars and all that posing :) the 80s were ultra cool!!

8. You Baby Me Mummy
    February 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm (2 years ago)

I think it was cola cubes. I love your old photo’s, what great memories the must hold for you x

9. Rollercoaster Mum
    February 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm (2 years ago)

Loving all your car pics – obviously a theme for photos! I remember I had a similarly hideous jumper once – oh and fave sweets have to be the chewy drumstick lollies!

10. Shell Louise
    February 26, 2014 at 10:11 pm (2 years ago)

I miss my sweets. I used to love stocking up when I did the shopping but I no longer buy them because they don’t help me with my weight loss journey!
    My favourites when I was younger were Parma Violets, still love them now! :)
    Shell Louise recently posted…Finally – 8 Stone Award Slimming WorldMy Profile

11. Charlotte
    February 26, 2014 at 10:37 pm (2 years ago)

Aww lovely post, I loved love hearts too… I remember passing them to each other in primary school and giggling!

12. Kara
    February 27, 2014 at 7:09 am (2 years ago)

I used to love Fruit Salads and love hearts and adore the fact you can still get them…….why did they rid of Pacers? Loving the retro pics – need to dig mine out

13. agatapokutycka
    February 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm (2 years ago)

lollies for me… any and all of them… I just loved them… now, not so much

14. Debbie Qalballah
    February 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm (2 years ago)

You definitely love your sugar, sis. My instagram feed is like a confectioners shop when you start posting 😉

15. MumLee
    February 28, 2014 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

Loved this, especially those photos from 80s/90s. Took me back to those days even though my life was entirely different from yours back then..;)

There was something lovely about 80s and 90s, our children will never understand them though… I often think if my girl will ever believe that her parents had once lived with no phones, then on phones with cords… then on black and white phones…
    MumLee recently posted…10 thingsMy Profile

16. mama elsie
    March 1, 2014 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

My fav sweets were definitely the love hearts. How I dreamed of giving specific romantic invitations to the school heartthrob – never happened though!! The pics are great – didn’t have any of those cars but we did have a right orange Vauxhall Viva!
    You’re right the 80s were fab – didn’t everything seem so much slower??