Educational and fun, fruit picking with the kids

I finally took the girls fruit picking at our local farm! I have been hoping to take them for weeks, and it either rained when we planned to go, or it was just way too hot during ramadan to be out in the sun picking fruit and not being able to have a drink. So as an Eid treat, the day after Eid, we finally went.

The last time I went fruit picking was as a child. I remember refusing to eat any of the fruit until it was actually paid for, while I watched everyone around me, including my family have a taste while they picked.

Munchkin has taken after me; she refused to eat any of the fruit. Although with her I think it was more a case of ‘what if a bird has pooped on it?!’

Bee however had no issue and literally stuffed herself silly!!

DSC_4243 DSC_4244 DSC_4245 DSC_4246 DSC_4250

Plums

Fascinated by a flower

Bee enjoyed running through the plum trees

I really don’t know why I haven’t taken them sooner. Fruit picking is fun and educational. You can have a chat with the children about how fruit grows; on bushes, trees, and small plants. And also the effort it takes to plant the seeds and then care for them. There were only two rows of trees that had plums left so we could chat about how different varieties can be ready at different times and they got to see the green plums that were slowly gaining colour.

We arrived at the final day for strawberry picking so we had to really look under leaves and check out most of the plants to get enough strawberries to fill our pot. But we came away with more than enough.

Fruit picking
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

1. July 30, 2014 / 4:25 pm

Such sweet sweet pictures! Looks like a brilliant day was had by all! 🙂

2. July 30, 2014 / 8:38 pm

Lovely photos – what a fabulous place to visit. Your daughters look as though they had great fun.
    Kate Thompson recently posted…Thoughts…My Profile

3. July 30, 2014 / 9:03 pm

Looks like you had such a fun time. I have been searching high a low for a PYO farm near, but nothing

4. July 30, 2014 / 10:02 pm

I think every child should go fruit picking. It looks like you had a great time! I hope to take my childten soon. Love your photos!

5. July 31, 2014 / 2:43 am

We used to go fruit picking every summer when I was living in Finland. Especially strawberries and blueberries but basicly any and every kind of berry possible. It was hard work but fun, especially when you could eat while picking 🙂

6. July 31, 2014 / 9:08 am

I love fruit picking with my OH! It’s always such a fun 🙂 Where is this farm based? Looks like they have plums which I love!

• July 31, 2014 / 2:16 pm

Hi Sylvia,

It’s a farm called Hill Farm in Cambridgeshire

7. July 31, 2014 / 9:22 am

Looks fab, I was just saying to my OH the other day that we should take Syd to a pick your own as I think he would love it, yours pics have made me all the more determined to actually do it!

8. July 31, 2014 / 9:28 am

Looks like you had a fantastic day out. We love going picking! We love to pick beans and strawberries.
    Helen Dickinson recently posted…Winning WednesdayMy Profile

9. August 2, 2014 / 3:43 am

Lovely pics. I’m sure Bee enjoyed it all. Missing those fruit picking days back in the US.

10. August 2, 2014 / 8:33 am

Totally agree with you about fruit picking being more than gathering fruit for the kitchen. We go every year – several times- as we have a very local PYO. A simple pleasure too. #CountryKids
    Cheryl recently posted…Butterfly HouseMy Profile

11. August 2, 2014 / 4:14 pm

I like how it is educational too. And you can never grow too old for it. Me and my husband went and picked some wild berries last night – it was quite romantic.

I’m glad you all had a lovely time.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Pinkoddy at Coombe MillMy Profile

12. August 4, 2014 / 7:02 pm

I have seen a lot of pick your own fruit activity in the other blogs lately and I wish that we can do it too but theres no farm near us that does this. Looks like a fun activity! I am sure you had so much fun and so much fruit =P #countrykids
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…Alphabet Photo – L for LayersMy Profile

13. August 4, 2014 / 8:55 pm

What a great picture of Bee running through the trees. I really need to find somewhere that does this near to me. I’d love to take my two.
    Laura recently posted…Life is a beachMy Profile

14. August 4, 2014 / 9:02 pm

I love fruit picking too, and must put it on my to do list for the holidays!

15. August 5, 2014 / 8:54 pm

We have a “Pick Your Own” Fruit Farm close by. It is such a great idea and a wonderful day out.

16. August 8, 2014 / 7:50 pm

Looks like a fabulous fruit haul. Beautiful pics too x
    #countrykids