Day out to ZSL London Zoo

After planning since May to go to London Zoo, we finally made it this month!

Bad weather stopped us going on the dates we had planned before, and then it was Ramadan. I think Munchkin was beginning to think we were never going to go!

London Zoo is located in Regents Park, and it is outside of the congestion charge so that is an added bonus! However, if you park in their car park it will cost you £14.50. It can get quite costly in addition to the tickets, but as we were using Tesco Clubcard vouchers ( I LOVE them for days out!) we weren’t too fussed about the parking price.

We arrived just after 11 on a weekday and the although the queue was beginning to go down the road, it did not take long to get our tickets and get inside.

Bee of course was in her element and was slightly over excited!

Bee fascinated by a Komodo Dragon

Bee fascinated by a Komodo Dragon

On arriving at the zoo we headed straight for the tiger enclosure as a show was about to start. However, it was so busy we did not get a look in and I just managed to get a quick glimpse at a tiger before we decided there was no point in staying. The zoo was very busy and this also happened to us at the penguin show; it was so crowded that the girls couldn’t see anything so we decided to forget about all the shows. We were arriving 10 minutes before they were due to start but even by then it was crowded. So my tip  is that if you want to see a show then head to the area at least 20 minutes (if not sooner) to ensure you get a good position.

We were also disappointed in that we didn’t get to spot a single lion. I know that isn’t the zoo’s fault but when you travel so far and don’t even get to see the big cats properly it is a real shame. Clearly we weren’t the only ones that were feeling like this as as we went towards the lion enclosure excitiedly, a man stopped and moaned about there being so many lions and not even one was spotted!

If I am honest, my favourite part was the butterflies. We got to walk through the butterfly house with butterflies flying around us, one even settled on my dads nose.

DSC_4351 DSC_4353 DSC_4357 DSC_4358 DSC_4365

Munchkin was keen to see the giraffes! They really are such beautiful animals

DSC_4423 DSC_4427

Although we didn’t get to see the penguin show we went back when it was calmer and managed to see some close up.

Penguin at ZSL London Zoo

What I did love about the zoo was all the different areas, for example, the aquarium, a section for bugs, a section showing conservation in action, a rainforest area showcasing the animals that are found in the rainforest and much more.

And my favourites had to be these cuties!

Meerkat Prairie dogs

And we loved being able to walk through the monkey area and watch them jump around. Although I did feel sorry for the staff who had to keep telling people not to get too close!

I took plenty of pictures on our day out, here is a selection if you are interested!

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

30 Comments on Day out to ZSL London Zoo

1. sarah christie
    August 9, 2014 at 7:48 am (1 year ago)

I love this post, the girafffes are stung such beautiful animals. I will put this on my to do list, we have never been to London zoo x

2. Kim Carberry
    August 9, 2014 at 12:47 pm (1 year ago)

Looks like you all had a great time even though you didn’t get to see the big cats!
    Fantastic photos!
    Kim Carberry recently posted…Daddy Daughter Time….My Profile

3. Rachel
    August 9, 2014 at 3:14 pm (1 year ago)

One of my favourite places to go in London, I can spend hours just sitting and watching x

4. Hannah Staveley
    August 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm (1 year ago)

I so want to go to this zoo seen and been told so many good things about it .

5. Pinkoddy
    August 9, 2014 at 8:28 pm (1 year ago)

Oh how amazing. Shame about the parking charges, but good about being outside the congestion. You got some amazing captures.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…BOOMCo Rapid Madness Blaster ReviewMy Profile

6. Pinkoddy
    August 9, 2014 at 8:28 pm (1 year ago)

Pinkoddy recently posted…BOOMCo Rapid Madness Blaster ReviewMy Profile

7. Emma T
    August 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm (1 year ago)

You’re right, the giraffes are wonderful. Love the butterfly shots, although I’m not so keen going through butterfly houses when they’re all fluttering around me.

8. stacey kirkbride
    August 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm (1 year ago)

you’ve taken some stunning pictures. i adore the ones of the butterflies! we’ve not taken our boys to london zoo yet but after reading this post we definitely want to in the near future

9. Cass@frugalfamily
    August 10, 2014 at 5:27 pm (1 year ago)

We love London zoo and try and go at least once a year – we love the monkeys best x

10. Polly
    August 10, 2014 at 5:59 pm (1 year ago)

great photos! We love the zoo
    Polly recently posted…32/52My Profile

11. Stephen
    August 10, 2014 at 7:01 pm (1 year ago)

This is one of my favourite places in London, especially the penguins and the squirrel monkeys.

12. Laughing Owl
    August 10, 2014 at 7:55 pm (1 year ago)

We went to London zoo for the first time last year – looks like we had a pretty similar day too although we did see the Lions, but missed out on the penguin show due to the crowds!

13. Sarah Bailey
    August 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm (1 year ago)

What an amazing sounding day out – fantastic photos of the animals as well.x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Heal Gel Body: ReviewMy Profile

14. Kara
    August 11, 2014 at 6:32 am (1 year ago)

We adore ZSL London Zoo and always have such a fab time when we visit, although we have yet to see the Tigers as they always hide!

15. Globalmouse
    August 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm (1 year ago)

£14.50 to park??! wow, that’s expensive. I prefer to see the smaller animals and insects at zoos so I wouldn’t mind not seeing the lions. It looks like a great day out though.

16. Rachel @ Parenthood Highs and Lows
    August 11, 2014 at 1:27 pm (1 year ago)

I have to admit to not being a particularly huge fan of zoos, as all the animals seemed to hide away – and that parking cost is horrific, would certainly put me off going. Your photos are beutiful though and I’m glad you enjoyed it

17. MummaG
    August 11, 2014 at 8:24 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve always found visiting London Zoo a bit of a disappointment, you have captured it beautifully in your photos though. A lovely honest review. #countrykids
    MummaG recently posted…Silent SundayMy Profile

18. Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk)
    August 11, 2014 at 8:27 pm (1 year ago)

I really love the tesco boost too! I got my son’s school uniform for free and we got to watch movies using our points as well! I hope we can go to this place in the future. My husband is a bit nervous to drive around London tho. =( #countrykids
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted…My Meatballs MonsterMy Profile

19. Sonia Constant
    August 12, 2014 at 10:58 am (1 year ago)

Ah looks like you had a lot of fun, great photos and lots of animals :) x

20. Samar
    August 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm (1 year ago)

MashaAllah I love the photos of the butterflies!

21. Fritha Strickland
    August 12, 2014 at 7:34 pm (1 year ago)

we are going this weekend so this post is very apt! Thanks for the tips x

22. Laura
    August 14, 2014 at 5:42 am (1 year ago)

I love your butterfly photos and agree that it’s so nice to be able to walk through various enclosures. Nice to hear that you all had a good time. London Zoo is definitely a fab day out.
    Laura recently posted…Booking our very first foreign family holidayMy Profile

23. Bismah
    August 14, 2014 at 11:11 am (1 year ago)

I love visiting the zoo! It is a wonderful way to spend a day with your family. You captured so many amazing shots. I especially adore the beautiful butterflies, masha’Allah!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Day out to ZSL London Zoo

1. […] 217 – FINALLY went to London Zoo. You can read about it on our day out to London Zoo […]

2. […] 3-5) If your children love animals, then why not pay a trip to Priory Farm in Surrey, Crystal Palace Farm or even London Zoo? […]