Millie’s Trust is a relatively new charity I happened to stumble across when one of my friends had liked/commented on one of their status’s and it showed up in my newsfeed.
Now me being the nosey so and so that I am I had to find out what this was all about.
The trust was created by Millie’s parents. Millie tragically died of a choking incident at her nursery in October 2012. Their charitable aim is: The advancement of health and saving of lives by providing education and training in First Aid
If your child suddenly started to choke on something would you know what to do? Knowing what to do could make the difference as to whether your child lives or not. Some people cannot afford to go on First Aid course as some can be expensive. Millie’s Trust’s aim is to make First Aid training available for minimal cost and they run donation only courses and can also run courses at your home.
Millie’s Trust has already helped save the lives of many children as can be seen by the messages left on their facebook page. People are grateful for their tips and awareness of what to do with a choking baby; I myself have learnt some new things aswell.
Millie’s Trust currently have a campaign to train ALL nursery nurses in Paediatric First Aid. Please sign the petition.
How sad…. Such an important cause. I know of a couple of children that sadly choked and died…
What a great cause, I must admit I wouldn’t know what to do. Something that I suspect a lot of people don’t think about until it happens to their child which is often too late. Off to read more about them x
So sad 🙁 I was very lucky to get first aid training in my children’s centre a couple of years ago. The courses are expensive but they subsidised and we did the whole thing for 5 pounds and we learned a lot. It would be ideal for this to be made more available for everyone. I do think nursery staff should be having this training at mandetary though. This is such a sad loss and I hope more can be prevented in future with better first aid training
I too would have to admit to not really knowing what to do. It’s reminded me to look for a course. Such a sad loss xx
It always petrifies me that my children are going to choke and there is nothing i can do to help! I have had dreams of running with them in the street whilst they choke. It’s a horrible thing to think off. I am going to sign the petition x
Keri-Anne recently posted…Pinning around: Pom pom bunnies
I heard of this charity a few months ago and it is heartbreaking that this happened to Millie’s parents.
I’m a qualified first aider and Hubbie went on a first aid course for parents run by our son’s nursery. It’s so very important for child safety.
Thanks for highlighting it on your blog.
Swazi recently posted…Festive Five Father Christmases
My heart breaks, I can not imagine their pain. I did that First aid course, and I was so glad I did as what I would have done was wrong. I hope this cause raises a bucket load of $$
Mrs. Chasing the Donkey recently posted…Tips to survive Christmas abroad
A brilliant cause, and a very sad case, I am a trained nurse. Thanks for highlighting Millie’s Trust
mellissa williams recently posted…Narovia – Jewellery and Fashion Accessories Review
Going on a first aid course is something that I keep meaning to do and still haven’t achieved. This is a really good idea and I need to sort myself out in the New Year x
Kate @craftsonsea recently posted…#craftblogclub Secret Santa
That’s so sad – thanks for sharing xx
I came across a comment about a choking incident in an event at a library where the nursery nurses weren’t trained to deal with it – must admit it was a bit of a surprise. I’d have expected all nurseries to have staff trained in first aid.
Laura recently posted…Squash, leek and lentil soup
What a fantastic cause – I am lucky enough to be first aid trained myself and think it should be a skill taught to everyone in school and all new parents!!